Thursday, May 21

One dollar

Ate 2 avocadoes at lunchtime today. Felt utterly sick in the stomach afterwards. Felt like I could throw up at any time. Went to the bathroom 3 times, and my stomach was still extremely upset.

Team leader told me to just go home if I still wasn't feelign well. I then left office at quarter past 4.

On my way to the bus stop, I saw a somewhat rugged man on bare feet walking along the same path that I was on, with a pair of sports shoes tied together by the shoelaces hanging down on one shoulder, approaching different ones and asking them if they had a dollar.

I immediately slowed down my pace to watch what this man was doing. It broke my heart to see every single person he approached shun him, shook their heads at him without even asking what he needed one dollar for, and distanced themselves from him.

I continued walking towards the bus stop while looking on, though taking small, slow steps.

Then I stopped. Took out a one-dollar coin I had in my wallet. Held it in my hand.

I turned around. He was coming towards me.

I waited for him to ask me if I had a dollar. He saw me.

He opened his mouth, said "excuse me,..." but immediately turned away to another guy who was standing just across me and asked him if he had a dollar. Same response as the others.

At that, he turned back towards me and I threw the question first: "what do you need a dollar for?"

"To catch the bus home..." he said.

No questions asked. I put the coin in his outreached hand in which he was already holding a one-dollar coin.

I walked away wondering if two dollars was enough to get him home.

Lord, You know I have a soft spot for homeless people, the poor and needy.

Everytime I see someone like that whom everybody shuns, it stirs up great emotions inside and breaks my heart.

I wish I could do more to help these people, not just give a dollar or two. I wish I could help them get back onto their feet, find their way in this world, and see Your light and know Your love for them. My heart totally goes out to all of them.

But so many times, I feel inadequate of myself to help all those people - financially, spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Tonight, on my way to garden city, I cried for the man who asked for a dollar. Just one dollar.

2 comments: